Service Learning...it seems to be an excellent way to learn how to make change in a society that cannot be complacent. However, there are many challenges that one must overcome to feel like he or she is making a difference.
I'm a college undergraduate student at Loras College in Dubuque, Iowa, enrolled in a class called Honors Service Learning. It is a senior capstone class that involves two large service projects: the first is an individual service project, and the second is a group service project. Both of these projects are to be completed within the Washington neighborhood of Dubuque. What makes this experience different for me, is that it involves service on a more personal/relational level than I've ever done before. My most recent service project was in January 2008 in the St. Bernard Parish of New Orleans. There, a group of Loras students--including myself--helped rebuild houses for Hurricane Katrina victims for one week. One week...that isn't much time considering that this service learning project is one whole semester. But maybe this single semester will turn into a lifetime of giving.
I have also been involved in many other service projects, from tutoring CCD students at my home parish of Holy Trinity in Dubuque, to giving a single day of service with my high school class. However, I have faith that my education and experiences through Loras have helped prepare me for this undertaking better than my past experiences. I have learned, from my New Orleans experience, that one week is not enought to feel like you've accomplished anything. My education at Loras has taught me that relationships are what is truly important when trying to make a difference.
One experience that comes to mind from my New Orleans trip is one piece of advice that the Americorp volunteers told us during our orientation. They said not to worry about the quantity of work that we get accomplished, but they said to cultivate the relationships with the people that we are helping and working with. To me, that was an huge shock...I wanted to go down there and take care of business. However, one the first day when we took a lunch break, we ended up talking with the owners for two hours--I felt kind of bad for not getting too much work done, but the relationship that was planted was awesome. Everyone in my group learned alot about what the people of New Orleans had experience and what they are still experiencing today, years after the disaster. These relationships are something that I definitely learned to cherish through my experience at Loras.
Through this particular course, I hope to continue that work of building meaningful relationships. Through this, I hope to learn exactly how I'd like to spend my time after graduation--service is definitely something that I would like to get in the habit of (my girlfriend definitely helped me figure out that there are much more important things in life than cars and four-wheelers). If I one build relationships with those I helped, then that single person can definitely make a difference in people's lives. I believe there is a saying that says if even one life breaths easier because of something someone does, then that person lived a successful life.
Walking down White Street in Dubuque (part of the Washington neighborhood), something I do nearly everyday, gives me the feeling that there is a lot that needs attention in Dubuque. I've lived here all my life, and I've always known that this city was never perfect, however, walking it this time, knowing that I would finally be forced into a routine to help this neighborhood gave me a sense of eagerness. There are many run down houses, but there are also many houses that have been redone or are in the process of being restored. All-in-all, it looks like an area that most towns have. It is also easy to tell that the people that live in the area may have a difficult time paying rent or finding a job--thus the houses deteriorate in condition. There also appears to be trouble with some of the residents' family lives. Just the other night as I was driving home from work, I witnessed a husband and a wife arguing outside in a way that many would look down upon. That is one thing that would be great to help, bring unity to some of the families, but it is probably the most difficult of all tasks. There is definitely alot of areas that need help, and I have confidence that our class can maybe help some of the residents in the Washington neighborhood in some way. I know, I know...but someone will say that anyone going to do service will feel the same way. But I truly want to help and think that improvements can be made. I know that after everyone is finished with their service that it may not seem that we've accomplished anything there. However, if we've even helped one person, we can consider our work a success. We must always be positive, and persevere when times get difficult, and they will.
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment