Friday, October 17, 2008

Politics

When I first see the word "politics," I first think of a bunch of old men and women jabbering on about a ton of money, yet they know absolutely nothing except how to get elected. Heck, I know (and I'm not trying to be arrogant) that a few well-educated people could run this country a lot better than a bunch of old men and women that make way too much money.

Anyhow, what really comes to mind is basically everything. Everything from the little interactions with managers at work to people who try to please professors by being afraid to comment on something they do not think is right. Too many times, I see someone try to suck up to someone else and completely lose theirselves. Politics, to me, seems to ruin people--it makes people lose their true selves if they are not strong willed. And the thing is, politics is everywhere. How do you think a building is built? First, you've got to go through all the rules and regulations that other people came up with. Recently in the news, I have read that soon, all taxis in New York and a few other towns must be hybird vehicles. The problem is that these vehicles are shorter than the current Crown Victorias. There is also a federal mandate that requires all taxis to have a bulletproof barrier between the passenger compartment and the driver. Now, this means there is a safety issue: there is a very stiff material that is close to a passenger. Thus, the passenger will strike this unforgiving material in the event of an accident. Engineers have been warning the federal government of such an issue, but the mandate continues--thus the engineers are left without a solution yet, and taxi drivers will end up paying tons of money to meet the mandates. BASICALLY, a lot of politics is costing tons of money (because people who know nothing about cars aren't listening to the engineers who build the cars), and they are wasting tons of time. Therefore, I say POLITICS=WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. Simply put.

Now enough of my own jabbering about what I think about politics. When I'm down at the Multicultural Family Center (MFC), I find myself thinking about safety. Last Wednesday, we took the kids to the playground at Prescott elementary school, and I worried about safety a lot. White Street is a very busy street, and these kids can be wild. It is hard to control many of them, so I feared that if one of them were to get hit by a vehicle, my tail would be sued. That is what type of politics is instilled in my brain, it seems to inhibit my judgement at times. Nonetheless, I had a blast. It just seems that I want to make sure that everyone is safe, and everyone follows the rules. That way, no one can ever say something poorly about the MFC.

Also, this Wednesday, we were cleaning up for the day, and one of the ladies that works there was cleaning up outside when she came in and said that some guy was getting all cranky about the sidewalk chalk that was a block away from his house. You've got to be kidding me! This guy is ridiculous. It is sad that people have the right to complain about such negligible matters. It's sidewalk chalk for heaven's sake. It'll wash off in the rain, and it is simply a few energitic kids having fun. We later found out that this gentleman is not very accepting of other races, and he complains a lot about the kids that come from the MFC. I've been working with these kids for a few weeks now, and I know that they are sometimes overly energetic, or sometimes they leave a bit of a mess behind, but they would never try to do anything that would upset someone. I just think it was a ridiculous situation. And again, politics caused much of the roots of this. Though the link may be difficult to follow.

Overall, I personally am sick of all the situations where politics comes to mind (especially during a political season). It makes me so mad when I see people who do not even consider the side of others. But anyhow, I could ramble on for hours about my disgust with politics and how it complicates everything.

1 comment:

SwimmerJenn86 said...

Nice post Kruse, although it was mostly ranting. Is there anything that you see valuable with poltics?

I agree about the people making the decisions in most situations have no knowledge of the situation itself--I also wrote about this in my blog. Money does seem to consume the decisions made in our world today.

I found it interesting that the taxis are basically being made unsafe just to "go green." It seems that going green is the "in" thing to do, but I sometimes think a lot of the decisions are made because it is economically friendly instead of the focus on being environmentally friendly.

You made several good points in this post and I found it interesting to read about the MFC. However, you did not mention politics in the Invisible Man. It seems as though there are many poltical issues there, but the source is based on race.