Sunday, November 16, 2008

Change

Change and communities.  It seems that some people are very welcome to change, however, there are many that fear change will change their lives for the worse.  In some cases, change is necessary to resolve community issues, while other times change is not necessary at all.  But no matter what, change is necessary to help us grow.  If we are so closed-minded to change, we become complacent.  We become content with what we are and what we have and do, and the same is true for communities.  If communities do not change, they stop growing, not in size, but in acceptance and understanding.

I have learned that it is difficult for communities to change.  Some communities have a hard time accepting new people into their neighborhoods, while other communities have a hard time accepting new ideas.  From what I've heard from some people at the MFC, I have come to understand that some people are very critical of it.  They do not like the idea of it, nor do they like the fact that there are a lot of kids there after school.  That is just one small community.  Look at this nation.  After the election of President-elect Obama, some of this country is not ready to accept him.  I recently read that some hate crimes are up in some parts of the country.  How do we change this?  How can we make people understand that change is sometimes necessary in order for growth?

The answer:  I don't know.  If I did, I'd be a Nobel Peace Prize winner.  I would make headlines across the world, and peace would reign.  However, I do know one thing, it takes a lot of time, patience, and effort to make even a small group change.  It's just human nature.  We all want to have our own ideas included, and not everyone agrees with our own beliefs.  This, if not treated in a fair manner, can lead to disruption and war.  If we can at least change or negotiate with others so that both parties or all the parties are satisfied with the results, then everyone will be content.  However, it seems that with the way things are today, it is nearly impossible for all parties to agree on a compromise because each group always thinks that they get the short end of the deal.

I believe that an "invisible" person much like the narrator in Invisible Man has the opportunity to initiate change.  I believe a person can do that through example.  That example, over time, will spread.  It will first start with family members, then to friends, then to coworkers, then to more and more people.  This change will not be immediate, it will not happen right away, but it will spread.  For it is not the big deeds that make change, but all the small ones.

1 comment:

Camila Andrade said...

Ryan,

I liked how you discussed how it is difficult for communities to change by accepting new people and ideas. Often, I have found myself within communitites who reject ideas (which they might accept) because of the source. I also like how you discuss how change is gradual. I agree with that, we can even see it in the environment around us; seasons, for example, change gradually.

Take care,

Camila