First of all, I'd like to talk about my service at the Multicultural Family Center thus far. It is a wonderful time when I get down there. I arrive, and the kids that come on a regular basis recognize me and seem to take a liking to me. They have TONS of energy, and they can wear you out or get a little loud. All-in-all, its a great opportunity to be a part of their lives.
Basically, my job is just being down there and helping out. When things get busy, there can be a lot of kids packed into a tiny building. Wednesday, with the beautiful weather, we took the kids over to the Prescott playground where they all had a great time. We were hanging on the monkey bars, playing basketball, and just messing around having a grand ole time. It brought back good feelings of childhood. But the great thing is how the kids enjoy it as well. I know that many of them don't have an older person to play these games with them. I think it allows them to enjoy it more when others join them. Plus, I had a lot of fun helping them have fun.
As far as our group service project goes, I think we're headed down the right path. Once we gather all the relevent information that we need about the happenings in the Washington Neighborhood and the Bee Branch line, things will start to fall into place. Getting a hold of the city's information was crucial, and with information from actual city council members, we are well on our way to getting the information we need. So long as the others get the call to the people for the oral history, we'll definitely accomplish our goals.
In general, things are going pretty well. As for myself, I'm enjoying the work at the MFC, and as a class, we're moving right along on our data gathering. It was a slow start on both projects, but I think that once we get going on these things, everything will fall into place just right, and rightly so.
Friday, October 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
My times at the MFC have also been very enjoyable. I enjoy working with the kids as well and do get some kick backs from when I was a kid. In my blog I talked about the event that happened to me last week which really opened my eyes to our situation. I feel we are very lucky to be in this situation and I think we will learn a lot from these kids. I do also feel the group project is under way after a slow start but yet I feel we have a lot of work to do. Hopefully we can get everything done to make a good presentation but if we have to extend our time I don’t think that will be the end of the world. I look forward to working with you down at the MFC and I think you will bring some great contributions to the group project.
Sorry this is late! I agree that both projects seemed to have a slow start-- sometimes I think it's harder when there are so many options, it makes it hard to know what direction to go in or where to start. I am also working with children over at Marshall Elementary, and it is amazing how quickly kids respond to you when they know you are there to help them. I am also having a really great time just helping out and being a part of their lives for a little while.
Post a Comment