Friday, September 26, 2008

Learning Plan Version 0.1

Individual service site

Name of organization and location:
The Dubuque Multicultural Family Center

Name of contact who will serve as supervisor and reviewer
Madeline Cairney

Description of duties/activities
Help in creating programs for grade school youth with the help of the other volunteers at the MFC. Also, I will simply be available to the children to tutor mathematics. Furthermore, I will help with the Future Talk girls and their involvement in seeking colleges.

Learning plan

What are your goals? Why did you choose these goals? How do they relate to coursework at Loras?
My main goal is simply to be available to the children. At the very least, I want the children to know that I’ll be there to help them with math or just a cool guy to play some games with. It would definitely be great to have awesome programs, but the relationships that can be built are crucial. Some of these children don’t have any constants in life, so for as long as I can, I’d like to be there for them.
These goals really relate to the coursework at Loras because they focus on relationship, and relationship not only with myself, but with the children and the community.

Means to the goals. What will you be doing to help you reach your goals?
In order to reach my goal, I need to be at the MFC at the times I have set. Though it is only Wednesday and Friday, if I’m consistently at the center on those two days, I will set a pattern that the kids will hopefully get to know.


Assessments. How do I know whether or not I met my goals? How close did I come?
In order to assess this goal, all I’ll have to do is go to the MFC and when the children come they just have to smile when they see me. That will be the measure of my goal.

No comments: