I'm not gonna lie. When I first experienced a true liberal arts class at Loras, I HATED IT! I thought, "Why am I wasting my time taking these classes that have nothing to do with my major and my future?" I was utterly wrong in my understanding of liberal arts at the time. I believe it was because it challenged me to be a better human. It challenged me to understand many other points of view and to accept that point of view. I remember arguing about Socrates as Plato during our freshmen year in The Trial and Death of Socrates. It seemed pointless. No side of the argument would budge--either for fear of losing the debate or for fear of diminishing their grade. However, when all was said and done, I came out much different.
Throughout grade school, high school, and my first year at college, I would consider myself EXTREMELY shy. I wouldn't talk to many strangers or ask too many questions for fear that I'd make a fool out of myself. But it seems that the classes that challenged me the most personally--not mentally because engineering and science courses are absolutely brutal on the mind--were the liberal arts classes, my gen-eds. It was in these classes that I could truly question what I believed, and I could learn about many other ways at looking at the world. And though I still truly don't like the way some things are graded and believe that needs to be changes in the way the liberal arts are taught, it still does a great job at preparing us on how to communicate with others. I know that because liberal arts courses aren't graded by tests, people sometimes become scared and don't speak their minds as they should. This can hinder communication within a class, but the overall outcome--at least in my case is excellent. I make sure that I state my opinion when I can. I also don't want to be someone who kisses my bosses butt, but one who is respected for stating the facts and sticking to them...being an honest man, a man of my word.
Now because I believe communication is key and that I built a lot on my communication skills through my liberal arts education, it is only reasonable to state that the liberal arts education really prepares us for the "real world." Just the other day out at John Deere, I was talking to my mentor. He told me the story as to how I got hired, and I was impressed at myself (I hope I can live up to my expectations). However, I learned that many of the skills that I learned through my liberal arts education really helped me stand out. There are quite a few people that share the same technical skills of a good engineer, but excellent communication skills are what set engineers apart. And Lord knows how hard it is sometimes to find an engineer with good communication skills :).
As for preparing for service work, the liberal arts are crucial. Again, because communication is the key to dealing with people, the liberal arts are a way that can help us to try and understand the people that are helped and the people we work with. At times, we will be challenged because of our different points of view, and if we're not careful, maybe by stereotypes as well. It is our liberal arts education that is suppose to help guide us in understanding all stances while maintaining our own unique perspective. Therefore, I believe the liberal arts helps us prepare for service by sharping our communication skills and broadening our understanding of the vastness of the people of the world.
Now Martha Nussbaum, author of Cultivating Humanity, states that, "Liberal education in our colleges and universities is, and should be, Socratic, committed to the activation of each student's independent mind and to the production of a community that can genuinely reason together about a problem, not simply trade claims and counterclaims." This is exactly what I mean when I say that we must express our unique points of view while also understanding the other sides of the issue. That way, people can reason together rather than argue and fight about holding different points of view.
Also, Nussbaum mentions that, "This is because these people have never stopped to ask themselves what they really stand for, what they are willing to defend as themselves and their own." This hits the nail on the head for me. I really used to be afraid to state my point, even if I knew that I was correct. However, once I questioned myself as to why I did not say what needed to be said, I learned that something had to change. I needed to speak up when I felt strongly (but I have to be careful to understand the other person as well) about something. Once people learn that you speak what is true, and that you reach that truth through reason, they will, at the very least, learn to respect you for your reasoning and understanding. I think it is truly sad when people are too afraid to speak their mind...because the truth never gets out if people don't speak for it.
Overall, this is a topic that I hold dear. I really, really hated the idea of the liberal arts (and like I said, I still don't agree with everything but that's another ten page story). However, I have learned of its benefit throughout college and especially outside of college. A liberal arts education opens up many doors for people, and it also opens the doors between people. It is the key to open the door to worthwhile service.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hi Ryan,
I am sorry about posting this a little bit late, I totally forgot we were supposed to respond!
I enjoyed reading your post, I could totally identify myself with what you were saying. I also used to think (well sometimes I still do) that the gen eds are a waste of time, but then when you think about it, there's always something you can learn from it. and you may not realize that it is affecting your daily life but those classes have taught us something.
I would also like to applaud you for your reflections about your own personality, I do remember you being shy our freshman year, and then as time went by I started hearing more and more what your opinion was on a certain issue. I give you kudos not only for reflecting on it but for realizing that you have worked on it throghout your college experience. And also congrats for your successes at John Deer!
As for liberal arts preparing us for service, I think that it is indeed giving us tools to get ready to face different opinions, different points of view so that we can understand what other people think.
There is one part where you mention learning both sides of the issue. This makes me think that doing service in the Washington neighborhood and at the same time having the opportunity to learn about the history of this neighborhood from other sources is going to be great to learn different angles of the story.
Post a Comment