Friday, September 19, 2008

What can I give?

What can I give to society? Recently, I was reminded by a professor who just retired, that I wrote something about having a job that gives back to society. I used to think that I was pretty selfish--and I was--but I did not know that I thought like that three years ago. So, as an engineer and mathematician, I can give my skills. Just down at the Multicultural Family Center this evening, I helped two children with their math homework. It was definitely rewarding to me to see them understand the problem after I talked it through with them. I can also help fix people's cars or help them out with housing projects, and I've done all that. But I always feel that something is missing.

I was also recently reminded today that sometime I give too much (though through my eyes, I think I can give much more). Sometimes, I don't let love in after it is given out. So what I got from this (and the person who reminded me is very dear to me), was that relationship is what I can give when I leave Loras. And with relationships, there is a two-way street. Each has to give a little in order to avoid a collision. It doesn't matter if it's at the job, at a restaurant, far away, near by, or simply at home, relationship is what we must give to other people. Whether that means stopping to help someone with a flat tire or simply smiling at someone who looks down, that is what we all must give.

With society now-a-days, it seems that relationship is getting further away from people. We walk around with iPods, talk on the cell phone as we walk the streets, and many other things (I'm guilty of it too), but all these things seem to take us further away from the important things in life. And now, especially, since the economy is unstable, people are going to be worried about money or could fall into depression easily. It's sad how much control money has on people today. That means we must do our best to make the people we care about feel important so that money won't rule their lives. I know a few gentlemen at work who have never had a serious relationship or even cared about another person--by the sounds of it, not even their parents much--they live purely on money...and I used to be like that as well. But now, I have seen that just one relationship has opened my eyes to let me see that relationship is the key to helping others. I am so thankful for that person; I make sure she knows my gratitude.

The only way to face such an issue is to go out into the world everyday with an open mind. That is the key. If you have an open mind, you can ask interesting questions and learn more about others while they ask about you. Thus completing the two way street.

The only real doubt that I have is that honest sometimes can get one into trouble. I'm not hesitating, but I've seen this happen before. Someone is honest and hard working while another is lazy and irresponsible. Unfortunately, a boss or someone likes the lazy person and gives he/she a raise. The honest worker doesn't get his/her fair share. However, I know who the better person is, but it bothers me a bit, and it really makes people hesitate.

Take for instance, a class at Loras. A student wants to say something to the professor but is afraid that if he/she speaks, the professor will lower his/her grade on the next paper. We all know this is wrong, but there are people who do this, and it drives me nuts. I, personally, cannot stand to watch someone who just told me they don't like something and want to suggest something different and then don't say anything at all, even when given multiple opportunities. It is best to be honest, but people have seen the honest man lose, and that makes people fearful.

That is much like the narrator. He is honest and is looking for a job with his "letters of recommendation." However, he didn't know that the letters weren't recommending him for any job. He trusted that they would get him to where he needs to go. However, his trust caused him to lose quite a bit, and it made him a bit angry. This is much like what I see in some people. They see this in books and movies, and then they become afraid themselves of the consequences of honesty.

All-in-all, I know that I want to be trustworthy, putting myself out there for others. I want to grow relationships, and I want to be there for those that love me. I am fortunate, and I have the obligation to share my good fortune with others. That's what I want to offer to others as I leave Loras. I just hope I can live up to my words.

1 comment:

mariagragar said...

Ryan:
Part of me wants to just say "awww", but that's not what the blog response is for. I am not gonna lie, you have surprised and impressed me a lot on the past few weeks. With DES and the MFC, I think we've got to talk and open up a lot more than in the past 3 years. I want to say that in the 'relationship' side of you giving back to society, you're doing great!
I just came back from a CM leadership retreat and I was sharing with someone else that I would love to meet a person that does not like me. I want to know their reasons and to learn what weaknesses are being emitted to others. When you talk about this retired professor (Sr. Marlene?) or a dear person (Liz?), I think that, in fact, other people can pick out and distinguish between our strengths and weaknesses, or personality traits way more than we can (this is why I don't like writing about my own gifts, talents, etc.). They can tell you that you indeed give love to others, or that you are doing more than society actually expects of you even if you don't feel that way.
I entirely agree with your points on this 'shallow' society. Money is very important, and if you don't have it: you have failed, and are unhappy. This is something I struggle with since I come from a poor country where poverty is everywhere, but nonetheless, people are internally happy - they enjoy their families much more and their loved ones understanding that relationships are an important part of life since they are so gratifying and reciprocal. Life in Peru is much more laid back: people take time to take a step back and just relax, enjoy the moment, and be optimistic about the future.
Honesty is one characteristic I really like about people and appreciate the most. Not only because it shows the true thought, mind, and feeling of a person, but also because it builds up trust with each other. I think speaking someone's mind is very important, especially when trying to be open minded and respect everyone - how can you open up to diversity of thought if you don't know what a person truly thinks, their opinions, values, morals are. When it comes to the work place or academics, it is hard; I hate this type of "injustice" too. Just a fun fact about some types of Peruvian education - a lot of teachers get bribed with money or other goods to give the students good grades, or if the students' parents are good friends with the teachers, they also get better grades - true story from a survivor. I hate it, it's not right, but we must be optimistic that a reward for the affected or a punishment for the cheaters will come. Time, date, or form, only God knows. Good job, I enjoyed the blog